Psychological & Social Work Services

printer friendly documentPsychological & Social Work Services

Nassau County & Suffolk County - Long Island

At Alternatives For Children, Psychological and Social Work Services are integral components of the multidisciplinary team approach in early childhood education. Psychologists and Social Workers collaborate to assure that all students and their families have access to the support and assistance they might need. A variety of services are provided to meet the needs of children and their families including: initial assessments , behavioral observations, functional behavioral assessments , behavior intervention plans, play therapy/student counseling , parent counseling, support groups, parent education workshops and Early Intervention ongoing service coordination.

What types of accreditations are required of Psychologists and Social Workers?

All Social Workers and Psychologists at Alternatives For Children are graduates of accredited university degree programs, and certified/licensed by New York State. Our Psychologists and Social Workers have a broad-based knowledge and expertise in early childhood development.

Who coordinates my child’s Preschool Special Education services?

Alternatives For Children IEP Coordinators coordinate Preschool Special Education services for your child. The IEP Coordinator is familiar with your child and their services and has regular contact with your child’s treatment team. They work as a liaison between your school district and Alternatives For Children. The IEP Coordinators are your contact person for concerns about your child’s program/services.

What is an Ongoing Service Coordinator?

An Ongoing Service Coordinator is a person chosen by a parent who will ensure that the services, as indicated in the Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP), are in place for your child during the duration of the plan. At Alternatives For Children, Social Workers provide Ongoing Service Coordination based on their training and experience in advocacy and casework.

What is the difference between the role of a Social Worker and a Psychologist?

Psychologists assess a child’s development over all domains, (i.e. cognition, developmental skills, emotional levels, and behavioral levels) administering a variety of testing tools and interpreting results. At Alternatives For Children, both Psychologists and Social Workers deliver a range of services to children and their families. Student counseling, parent counseling, initial assessments, behavioral observations, behavioral assessments, and intervention plans are some of the services that Psychologists and Social Workers offer.

How do I get in touch with my child’s Social Worker or Psychologist?

You may contact your child’s Psychologist or Social Worker at any time to discuss any concerns you might have. Call the main phone number for your location and ask to be transferred to the Psychologist or Social Worker assigned to your child’s classroom.